Sunday, February 26, 2017

In the Shadow of Jezebel: Book Review

This book was incredible. Just incredible. 

I found it at McKays (a local used bookstore) and was able to buy it with store credit (exchanging unwanted books for ones I wanted!) Yeah, I love that place... Moving on.

My heart was so touched, so stirred by an author who truly understood the purpose of the Old Testament laws and God's abundant love for His chosen people--and ALL people who turn to Him. His desire for none to perish was so clearly portrayed in this amazing book.

I was impressed by the simple truths surrounding the backdrop of this story. Wickedness came to the nation because a good and godly king made a mistake. He backslid. Jehoshaphat made a marriage alliance with Ahab, having his son marry the daughter of Jezebel. As a result, the worship of Baal entered the land--and many, many people sought after a false, blood-thirsty god. 

That's what happens when we make an alliance with evil. The generations after us will walk in its shadow--just like Jehosheba had to walk in the shadow of her grandmother Jezebel. 



In the Shadow of Jezebel (Treasure of His Love)

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

16-18+. *Best* for married men and women.

This was an amazing book. I cannot remember the last time I felt so encouraged by a story. It was an amazing reminder of what can happen when God gets ahold of a life and a heart. It also was a grim reminder of what can happen when even a godly person disobeys God--in this case, landing generations of people in the shadow of Jezebel.

From the synopsis: Princess Jehosheba wants nothing more than to please the harsh and demanding Queen Athaliah, daughter of the notorious Queen Jezebel. Her work as a priestess in the temple of Baal seems to do the trick. But when a mysterious letter from the dead prophet Elijah predicts doom for the royal household, Jehosheba realizes that the dark arts she practices reach beyond the realm of earthly governments. To further Athaliah and Jezebel's strategies, she is forced to marry Yahweh's high priest and enters the unfamiliar world of Yahweh's temple. Can her new husband show her the truth and love she craves? And can Jehosheba overcome her fear and save the family--and the nation--she loves?

I was blown away by the historical detail and incredible depth of the storyline. While I knew much of it from my reading of the Bible and my years of Bible classes, there were still plenty of surprises. I was so very impressed by Andrews' beautiful understanding of the Old Testament and God's law and His chosen people. She is an author who understands God's heart and the purpose of the law. I was very touched by the story, impressed by the literary skill, and blown away by the historical detail. I could not put this book down. It interfered with all of my normal duties.

The Baal worship was tactfully handled. I felt sick sometimes, but I know that Andrews handled it very tastefully and carefully. She could not have done a better job of depicting the worship of Baal and contrasting it with the worship of the One True God, Jehovah. It was done in a beautiful way and really reflected how absolutely wonderful God's love is.

I highly, highly recommend this book. Due to some slight sexuality (Baal worship; marital lovemaking suggested, but not portrayed) I personally think it is *best* for married individuals. However, the content and maturity level is for 16-18+ if the slight sexual aspects do not bother one. The information contained in the book was about the same level as my Faith Bible Institute classes, which were recommended for 16+.

Great for historical and Biblical story lovers. This may have been one of the best books I've ever read.

View all my reviews
Share:

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really worthwhile one to check out ~ I'll be putting it on my TBR list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! I love accurate, well done Biblical storytelling! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.