Thursday, June 30, 2016

Modesty Matters - Featuring Alicia Jones

Note: We originally announced that our last post would be today. However, we are going to extend it through Friday, July 1. Thank you!

Hey, ladies. Today, I will be featuring a few of my outfits and a few selfies showing my makeup, captioned with ideas for YOU to try! But, throughout, I wanted to express the message I hope this event is giving. Enjoy and be blessed! 


Today, we are here to encourage. Why? Because modesty is one of those cringe-worthy words. You hear about someone wanting to be modest and you kind of just...shrink.

Why?

It's probably because modesty and Christian women in general have gotten a really bad reputation for being frumpy. (Yes, that is a word.) In other words, dressing modestly has taken on unfeminine, unlovely attributes - such as over-sized or masculine clothing, no makeup, stringy, unkept hair and face, and a general impression of (dare I say it?) laziness.

Ouch.

I know that women have different styles. God created us to be individuals - with individual tastes, opinions, standards, likes, and dislikes. I'm not talking about personal tastes here. (Aren't you happy God made us as individuals with personal styles?!) I'm talking about *cough, stammer, ducks* a generalized, overall appearance of simply not caring.


Try doing your makeup every day. Whether it's just some powder, mascara, and/or lip gloss, try to take that extra step.  You don't even have to buy expensive makeup. ELF is cheap and works in a pinch. Or, if you really want to invest in high quality makeup, try out Bare Minerals or Sephora. 


If you don't do makeup, still make skin care a daily routine. Invest in good creams, lotions,  BB cream, etc. Your skin is worth it. Be radiant! 
                                      
God does not want us women to be lazy about our personal appearance. Too often, we as Christians fall into a ditch of extreme-ism. (I've been there. Have you?) We don't want to be vain - so we are lazy. We don't want to be too self-centered - so we neglect our appearance altogether. We don't want to neglect the heart - so we neglect the exterior. Please allow me to say that falling into a ditch on either side is still a ditch. 

I think every woman has to come to her own standard of what God wants her to do with her appearance. (And it's not a competition with anyone else.) But, whatever conclusion you come to on what God wants you to do, it's going to take work.

It's not easy to get up and do one's hair or makeup. It's easy to fall into a rut of the same old t-shirt, the same old worn and baggy jean skirt. But is the rut - easy as it is - worth it?

You see, we are daughters of the King. We represent Him. The Bible talks about the King's daughter being glorious within - AND gloriously arrayed on the outside. Many famous women in the Bible were known for taking care of their appearance. Ruth dressed up to meet Boaz. Esther spent a year doing beauty treatments before seeing the King. The Proverbs 31 woman wove beautiful clothing. The Shula-mite woman delighted in beauty. 


Try to avoid wearing t-shirts too often. Fitted blouses are better and can dress up any ordinary blue jean skirt. If you do like to wear t-shirts a lot, buy the fitted ones. And always dress it up with a necklace, scarf, etc.
So when did being a daughter of the King become dressing masculine or downright frumpy? 
God created beautiful things. And I think we best portray who we are as His representatives by blending modesty with femininity, a godly character with a pleasant face, and a delight in the beautiful colors, patterns, and shades He gave us. We don't have to look like we stepped outside of Little House of the Prairie. We don't have to look like we don't know what era it is. We don't even have to spend much money. And, honestly, with a little practice, we don't have to spend that much time.

So we are here this week simply to encourage. To encourage women to be modesty and beautiful. To encourage you to take that step to look your best - whether you work outside the home or are a stay at home wife/mother (like me!)

Why?

Because you, dear reader, are worth it. Not only is it a sign of respect to those around you, but taking the extra mile to look attractive and actually 21st century is good for YOU. You deserve to look and feel pretty - no matter what your body shape is, no matter how frustrating your hair can be, no matter how badly you think you do your makeup. 


Know your body shape and what styles are flattering for YOU. Pinterest has lots of tips and advice for this.  Don't be afraid to experiment or even step outside of your comfort zone (provided it is still within your personal standards for modesty.)

And, if you shop at thrift stores, try to know what is at least somewhat in.  Don't buy clothes that look like they came from 1920. For example, florals are in right now.


Maybe you don't know where to start. Maybe you are afraid to experiment or take that extra step. That's what this event is for. Ask questions on any of these posts. Find someone you know who also wants to do better and hold each other accountable. Check out my PINTEREST boards for ideas on hair, makeup, and styling outfits.


Just remember, do something out of the ordinary to make yourself feel like a daughter of the King. To make you feel beautiful as well as modest. To make you feel like the lovely woman you are. 

You are worth it. 


Today's giveaway is from...ME! I am a Christian Historical-Fiction author with 7 titles. And, today, TWO lucky winners are going to win an ebook! 


Follow the links to find out more about the books!


To enter, visit my website! Leave a comment here saying that you have done so!

For a second entry, watch the From the Dark to the Dawn trailer or the Grace Triumphant trailer. Leave a comment here stating which one you watched.

For a third entry, like my Facebook fan page! Leave a comment here with your username.

For a fourth entry, visit my Amazon author page. Leave a comment stating which book you would like to read!

Two lucky winners will be an ebook! (Their choice from the two presented titles.) Open to INTERNATIONAL entries!
Share:

33 comments:

  1. I visited your website!
    I'll be looking in to your books.
    Are these geared toward ladies, teens, anyone?
    Are they romance novels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my books are family friendly. The two featured today are best for 15+. They are Christian Historical Fiction, which is geared toward anyone who loves history + fiction. No, not romance novels. One of the books contains romance, but it is sweet and only enhances the story. :)

      Delete
  2. This is not the first time I've heard anyone talk about makeup...but it IS the first time someone has touched on NOT wearing any makeup. My family does not wear it, has no interest in wearing it. What kind of facial cleansers/cremes would you recommend to enhance the beauty of a 'naked' face?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Kay has some awesome stuff! Their goal is for people who, like you, want no makeup and want to invest in beautiful skin. Also, Physician's Formula (Walmart) has great Argan oil and BB creams!

      Delete
  3. I watched both of your book trailers. Both sound interesting, but I'm more drawn to Grace Triumphant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visited your Amazon author page!
    I'd like to read God of our Fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you worded everything in this post, very excellent reminders. And nice pics too! Visited your website as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And after visiting your Amazon page, I am again reminded that I've never read the Comrades of Honor series. I seriously need to sit down and do that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm fairly new to this blog but I like what you're doing! I've never read any of your books either, but I've wanted to get some of them for some time now. I've watched the Grace Triumphant trailer, visited your website, and your Amazon author page. :) -Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched From the Dark to the Dawn trailer too! :) -Meg

      Delete
  8. Watched the Grace Triumphant Trailer! It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked your facebook fan-page, under my sister's facebook - Victoria Rowbottom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visited your Amazon page. I would like to read your Comrades of Honour series, and also you Grace Triumphant book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Alicia! Also, thank you for these series on modesty. I'm glad someone is finally removing all of those 'frumpy' myths! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched the Grace Triumphant trailer. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I visited your Amazon page and I would love to read all of them! ;) Probably In Search of Adventure the most though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh! Mrs. Jones, I visited your website! And your Amazon page! ... and the Grace Triumphant trailer! I'm so excited about that book, honestly. You're books *always* make me cry. ;) But I don't mind at all! God bless,
    Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've visited your Amazon page, I'd really like to read both those books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I've watched both book trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've visited your website :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I visited your website, watched the grace triumphant trailer, liked your Facebook fan page( Bethany Stelzl) is my profile name. Started following your Amazon authors page. I've read From the Dark to the Dawn. Can't wait to read Grace Triumphant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Elizabeth WilliamsJuly 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

    "Falling into a ditch on either side is still a ditch." I love that! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I visited your website, watched the Grace Triumphant trailer, liked your Facebook fan page as Lientjie Human and I would love to read The Comrades of Honor Series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it alright to do just one comment with the information or does it have to be separate for the giveaway?

      Delete
    2. It's better to do separate comments. :)

      Delete
  21. I liked your page!!! Logan-Abby Garrison

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to read Rising to the Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  23. I watched the Grace Triumphant trailer.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.