Thursday, January 29, 2015

Modern Modesty

Okay, ladies, since you proclaimed an interest in me doing a post or two on modern modesty, here you go! I've been a part of a modesty group on FB for a little while now and, between that and Pinterest, have gleaned some new, fun ideas that I'll be sharing.

 I think it is really important that Christian women don't look frumpy. We're daughters of the KING. Not only is it important for us as individuals to feel pretty, but our families and especially our boyfriends/husbands deserve to have us looking our best. The world is doing its best to portray false beauty - let's stand out with true loveliness!

"The king's daughter is all glorious within: her clothing is of wrought gold. She shall be brought unto the king in raiment of needlework..." -Psalm 45:13-14 KJV

Beauty starts in the heart...and then is manifested on the outside in a smile, clothing that is attractive and glorifies God, and even enhancing our specially-designed, individual features. So let's get started!
_________________________

We've all seen ideas from Pinterest, so let's look at some photos from real-life women. Photos from Modern Modesty used by permission.


Guess we better start with me, heehee! Teal and tan. If you are having trouble with an outfit, try layering. It's really the in thing, and you can really expand your wardrobe by not being afraid to mix and match!


I really liked this combo! This sweet lady gave me permission to share. Orange, dark blue, and a little bit of glam with gold and silver. 


Right here, we have what is known as pattern mixing. It can be a bit tricky to do. No worries though - you'll get it! Just don't be afraid to be bold and step outside of your comfort zone.


Feeling thrifty? My sweet friend Kelsey turned this man's shirt into a lovely plaid blouse by taking in the sides, adding darts, and sewing on a bit of lace. Plaid really is the in thing right now for ladies. Give it a try!


My friend Lacey shows off a cute little baby belly and still looks adorable. Here, you have a good example of mixing different shades and patterns.


Feeling feminine? Nothing like layering, pearls, and pink to do the trick. By the way, the shrug and blouse were cast-offs from my mom and sister. Thrifting works!


Or...feeling vintage? My friend layered dark and white, threw in some plaid, and a vintage watch for the 1950's look. Cute, eh?


This sweet lady gave me permission to share her outfit. I am so recreating this! Love the layering and maxis are always a win. 


Another sweet lady from Modern Modesty allowed me to share this. Beautiful, is it not?! I know you can get similar jewelry at Walmart or Charming Charlies, and these kinds of skirts are popular just about everywhere! I do believe this particular one came from Kohls.


Rainy day? Toss on a hat! Credit goes to Kelsey for this one. She thrifted this newsie cap for me. Invest in one, ladies! They are classy life-savers for bad hair days or rainy weather.

Along the lines of thrifting, you don't have to be a millionaire to have a nice wardrobe. Catos, Ebay, Amazon, Walmart, and thrift/consignment stores have very lovely options for excellent prices. Just keep an eye out. I recently got a maxi skirt for $12 from Walmart, a nice coat from Ebay for $8, and some chunky jewelry from Walmart for $3. And all the scarves I'm wearing in these photos were given to me. 

What outfit would you recreate? What is your style?
Share:

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the post! I love the vintage outfit with the plaid skirt! I would love find/make a plaid skirt like that, but haven't been able to find one at the Goodwill (where I clothes shop) and don't have the time to make one!! I also really like your rainy-day hat, but I don't think I could rock it like you do! :-) ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrifting is kind of an art, isn't it? :) I hope you find one soon! Thank you - but I KNOW you'd look awesome in a newsie cap! :)

      Delete
  2. Fun post, Alicia! :) Mixing patterns is something I have not yet ventured into... I'll have to be brave and try it it one of these times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People have said that it is too hard to dress modestly, but it definitely isn't true! There are so many nice ways to dress modestly. All the outfit combos look great...gives me a few ideas :) Most of my things come from charity shops. Nice and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! You can definitely shop at thrift stores, etc. and still be modest and classy!

      Delete
  4. My favorites are your blue (patterned) outfit, Lacey's outfit, the plaid shirt, and the pink/black-white striped skirt outfit. I have a newsboy hat too, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Newsies are definitely great!

      Delete
  5. These are some great outfits and tips. I have trouble with fashion. I'm just not a very fashionable person and I get worse when I edit because I spend so much time working I don't care to look for clothes that match. I do enjoy looking at other fashions though and getting ideas from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be more that way. Now I'm trying to make a conscious effort to think about my outfits (for many of the above reasons I stated). I'm glad you enjoyed the post! :)

      Delete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.