Tuesday, August 19, 2014

, , ,

In the Spirit of Femininity: Ladylike Makeup

Hello, ladies! Thank you for joining me (Alicia) today for the topic of...

Ladylike Makeup

I am not going to get into the whole should you or should you not wear makeup debate. I'll share my personal beliefs about it and you can come to your own conclusion.

I first started wearing makeup when I was 16-17ish. I sat down and tried to figure out what God said about it in the Bible beforehand. And, lo and behold... God doesn't have any thou shalts or thou shalt nots about it. However, I noticed that godly women such as Esther, Ruth, Lydia, the Proverbs 31 woman, and the Shunamite woman made a point to look their best. I came to the conclusion that makeup is fine for me, provided I stick to ladylike application and only embellish, not change who I am. 

There is a difference between Christian and worldly makeup - we'd all spot the differences in a heartbeat if we compared them. So bear that in mind when you are deciding how much and what kinds you want to wear.

And now I am going to show you the basics of makeup application (strictly with makeups I feel can be used in a ladylike way. There are some I don't recommend.).

The Brushes

I use only four brushes myself. I have a liquid foundation brush, a powder brush, and a tiny eyebrow brush, and a eye shadow brush. But, there are many other basic kinds. Here is the general list:


The key is to keep them clean. Ahem, yes, let me go stick my foundation one in some soap and water right now... ;)

The Basic Application

I am just going to give a quick run-down on how to apply every day makeup. Or, at least, how I apply mine. There are different techniques.

I start with a freshly-washed, moisturized face. (If I am going somewhere or anticipate getting hot/sweaty, I apply a bit of toner or primer to the T-zone area - nose, chin, etc.) Dab a small circle of liquid foundation onto your brush. Starting with your cheeks, apply in swift, downward strokes. Depending on the day, I don't generally apply to my chin or forehead. Apply a very fine layer to your nose. If necessary, take this opportunity to correct problem areas with tiny dabs of concealer.

I dislike shine, so I use translucent finishing powder to finish off the foundation part. Lightly pat the power over your entire face with your power brush, making special attention to prone-to-shiny areas. 

Next, I like to do a little bronzer and blush. The following charts are exactly how I apply them. (I am oval for blush.)



On bronzer, apply in downwards strokes. For blush, be sure you're smiling, so you can apply in circular strokes to the exact apple of your cheeks.

About this time, I do lip gloss. I wear lipstick only on rare occasions. I don't think anyone needs a chart for either...

Moving on to eye shadow...

Now, I tend to be very picky with eye shadow. I have hazel eyes. And I don't really wear colors. Light browns, maybe a faint pinkish-tan, or a light lavender is about the extent of my eye shadow. Nothing bright, really. I tend to be on the very natural side when it comes to shadow. I do like lightening my eyes around the brow area with white shadow. The following charts are pretty much what I do (except I've never used a lash curler in my life!).


Simple. Light eye shadow, followed by white beneath the brow area. I generally use a light brown eye pencil on the bottom and occasionally black along the top. 

Other options for daily makeup including lightening beneath your eyes and filling in your brows. It really doesn't have to be complicated. You can brush a little dark eye shadow or bronzer on your brows to darken them. And dab a drop or two of light concealer beneath your eyes. Viola - done!

Resources

I have to admit, I don't use those good-for-you makeups. I can't afford Cowgirl Dirt, Sephora, Bare Minerals, Mary Kay, or anyone else. I use ELF, Maybelline Fit Me, and New York Style. All of my products are under $5 (excepting mascara - never go too cheap with mascara!)
So here are a few cheap products I recommend. (If you want to pay for better products, go for it! I just personally endeavor to be as thrifty as possible with my makeup.)

  • Maybelline Fit Me Liquid Foundation - $5 - Lasts me 5-6 months.
  • ELF Translucent Powder - $1 - Lasts me around 2 months.
  • ELF Lip Gloss - $1 - Lasts me around 2 months.
  • ELF Powder Eye Shadow - $3 - Lasts me around 6 months. Keep an eye out around Christmas - ELF often puts 50 piece palettes out for around $5-10.
  • New York Style Cheek Glow - $3 - Lasts me around 6 months.
  • Maybelline Falsies Mascara - $6-7 - Lasts me around 4 months.
  • ELF Brushes - $1-3 - Lasts around 6+ months.

And now for our giveaway!

Willow Tree Minerals

...has graciously consented to host a giveaway! Aren't they awesome? Check out their Etsy shop, Facebookand website!

And here is what they are giving away!


One lip shimmer and one eye shadow! 

Enter once or do every entry for extra chances! Here's how to enter:
  1. Visit the Willow Tree Etsy shop and leave a comment stating what your favorite product is. (Required entry.)
  2. Leave a comment saying what your favorite brand of makeup is.
  3. Leave a comment. Lipstick or lipgloss?
  4. Leave a comment. Powder or liquid foundation?
  5. Share this post on FB, Google+, or Twitter and leave a comment with the URL link.
  6. Join this blog with Google Friend Connect. Leave a comment with your entry.
One winner will be generated on August 22. Check back to see if you won!


Don't forget! Mary Kay consultant Angela Snyder will be here on the blog this afternoon. Check back for a second post!
Share:

20 comments:

  1. I've shopped at Willow Tree Minerals before and really like the eye shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use so many different brands of makeup that I can't really decide. I do like the Willow Tree Mineral items I have, as well as some items from a shop on Etsy called Madison Street Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually reach for either lipgloss (as long as it's not too "shiny") or lip tint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use powder foundation the most, but still like the more thorough coverage of liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shared on Facebook, but I'm not sure how to leave a URL link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I like the brown mascara. I've wanted to try brown mascara for a long time (I have a very fair complexion and black mascara stands out horribly and looks AWFUL, so I don't wear it), but they don't have it at the Kroger near where I live.

    2. I use next to no makeup, just cover stick and eyebrow pencil. Either they're both Cover Girl or the eyebrow pencil is Elf. :)

    3. Lipgloss for now. :)

    4. I don't use foundation yet, just cover stick to hide acne on bad days. :P

    5. I'm emailing it to someone--does that count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like using Organic Wear foundations, powders, and Mascara. They a readily available at Walmart for a decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a whole mish mash of different makeup brands, but I have discovered I like ELF as well as Covergirl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I generally prefer lipgloss. It's quick and easy to apply and it's more subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use both powder and liquid foundation and like both equally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your post. Especially thank you for pointing out the Elf products. They are so economical. With a lot of girls in the house, you have helped us save lots of money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite powder is mineral makeup, topped up with shimmery bronze eye shadow and onxy sparkling eye liner! :) And berry blush, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like the mini mascara off of the etsy page :)
    I don't really have a favorite brand of makeup yet
    Lipstick over lipgloss :)
    liquid foundation
    I joined with Google Friend Connect
    ===== 5 entries :) ~Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the Willow Tree Minerals Milk and Honey Facial Cleanser. Since I'm pregnant right now, I have been having really bad breakouts from the hormone changes and I feel like a good cleanser could make a difference.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/153304527/milk-and-honey-facial-cleanser-35-oz?ref=shop_home_active_4

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lipgloss. I collect it! My favorite brand is Victoria Secret. Because it's flavored.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Powder foundation. Mom always buys me Mary Kay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. On the Willow Tree shop my favorite product was the Blossom - Pure and Natural Mineral Eye Shadow, and the pink champagne lip gloss.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Umm.. I probably like Elf and Covergirl the best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I prefer lipsgloss, I like how it shines!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I prefer powder, but I do have some liquid.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.