Friday, May 23, 2014

,

Remembering the Alamo - Interview with Silas "Edwards" Blodgett

Today, let's give a warm welcome to Silas "Edwards" Blodgett of Remembering the Alamo!


For a little background, Silas Edward Blodgett is my adopted cousin and the older brother of my sister Lydia's boyfriend, Nicholas. Silas and I have been good friends for years, so putting him in a book was tremendous fun! I simply changed up his real name a wee bit, studied his character a little more in-depth (I study all people as a general rule!), and the story came to life!

This is not the first time a member of the Blodgett family has been in one of my books. Nicholas Tyler Blodgett happens to be Tyler Nichols of God of Her Fathers. (Or is he really Dan Crudwell?)

Over the last few days, folks around the country have been asking Silas questions about his role in Remembering the Alamo. Check out his answers!


Who was your favorite character?
Silas: Good ol' Irish Thunder himself: Wes.


How much did you know about the Alamo before reading the book?
Silas: Less than I should have. Alicia Willis did an outstanding job creating a relatable story that didn't skimp on the small details and the coarser situations that all came together with the great moments to build an epic that honorably depicted such a remarkable point in history.

What was your favorite part?
Silas: The end of the battle.

What was your first reaction when I asked you to be the cover model?
Silas: A might ill, if I'm honest. I thought a more masculine looking fellow (with a full, sculpted beard) would look much better on the cover.
Me: This made me laugh. Judging by the favorable response Remembering the Alamo has received, I'd say I picked the perfect model! :)

What is your favorite quote from the book?
Silas: "Silas turned. Swiftly, in the hearty fashion he and Wes had long ago adopted, he hugged him."
Me: Awww.

Did I catch your penchant for being late or did I understate it a bit? What about losing sleeping when wrestling with a decision?
Silas: My proclivity for tardiness was definitely not overstated. Distraction has always been a problem for me, and I think Alicia accurately portrayed this. As for wrestling with decisions, losing sleep is actually not an issue for me. It is true that I am fairly indecisive, as I tend to think things through too deeply and at too many angles, but  vivid dreams usually replace my thoughts come bedtime.

How do you stay humble with having a book written with you in mind and with your picture on the front cover (or do you?)
Silas: I never really thought about it until reading this question, so I'd say it's pretty easy.

Could you please explain the emotions behind being so famous and having your face plastered on the cover of hundreds of books?
Silas: See above. (I didn't even realize I was famous.)

Have you ever visited the Alamo and, if so, what was your initial reaction to witnessing one of the great symbols of American freedom and patriotism?
Silas: I have visited the Alamo once when I was almost too young to remember. While I wish I could recall my original reaction, I can say that reading this book has given me a great desire to visit the Alamo again. This time with a greater understanding of the gravity of it all.

What exactly what your role in helping with the book? What was your favorite/least favorite part?
Silas: I really played no role in creating this book other than answering the occasional, "What would you do in this situation?" from Alicia. I already listed my favorite part. I don't have a least favorite part.
Me: In addition to the above, Silas confirmed some research for me about wheelwright shops and was a great support.


I was originally going to cast you as a barista in 21st century setting. Are you glad I switched over to the Alamo or do you think you could have pulled off the barista role?
Silas: YES. I'm sure you could have pulled it off, but I think it would have been a bit more of a stretch. After all, I don't even drink coffee. 
Me: Silas and I agreed that in 1836, with no Dr. Pepper and energy drinks, he would have drank coffee. I'm still working on getting him to drink coffee here in the 21st century. ;)

What is your favorite character trait of Silas Edwards and did he stay true to your character?
Silas: Probably his good-natured and easily distracted attitude coupled with a large degree of genuine thoughtfulness. I do think these traits were mostly true to character, which is probably why they are my favorite.

What is the actual origin of you calling people turkeys?
Silas: I adopted the practice from my Father. 

Did you get emotional at the end?
Silas: Yep...
Me: Short and sweet answer. I did too. :) Officially deciding to kill off my friend with a bayonet was no easy choice...

Don't have a copy of Remembering the Alamo? The second edition is now available! Order a signed copy through me or buy wherever books are sold. (Only $14.99 and $4.99 on Amazon.) Add to your Goodreads shelf today!

Thank you, Silas, for being with us today! And thank you to all of you who asked questions for the interview!
Share:

6 comments:

  1. Loved the interview! Way to go, Silas and Alicia! Love the pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great fun! I loved the personal feel to it. I could imagine the two of you talking face to face. And, an inside look at a wonderful book is always interesting! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for your interview question and for the help you were with the second edition of the book!

      Delete
  3. Micaiah R. KeoughMay 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM

    I loved the interview! It was really fun. Thanks, Silas and Alicia!!! PS. I love Remembering the Alamo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.