Monday, April 14, 2014

, ,

My Writing Process Blog Tour

I was tagged by Rachel Rossano to participate in the My Writing Process Blog Tour!


What am I working on?

Do I dare list everything? My main writing project is The Comrades of Honor Series #3 - Rising to the Challenge. I'm having fun with the characters of Birmingham Castle and the few news ones that have somehow slipped into the shire. I hope you are up for a rebellious squire, a dashing villain, a lovely lady, and, of course, everybody's favorite Sir Kenneth Dale. 

So I just managed to battle my way through a tournament, Lady Clarissa may or may not have just become Sir Robert's ward, and Squire Brion is proving himself a perfect menace. Anybody ready for a courtyard scuffle with two squires? And what about a dashing Earl who has everything a lady could desire and pits himself against Sir Kenneth in the war of love?

How does my work differ from others in its genre?

My medieval books contain no sorcery or gore. The dialogue is mostly Middle English, which gives the tales a medieval flavor without taking away readability. The protagonists are male and, thus, romance is not the largest element. Romance certainly plays a part and adds to the story, but factors such as tournaments, battles, and the relationship between a knight and his squire are the center points. In Rising to the Challenge, treachery and rivalry play a huge part too!

Why do I write what I write?

I write historical-fiction. Why? Well, I love history! I'm a sucker for dates, facts, and the social and political complications of an era. 

(I really got into the politics of the Texas Revolution when I was studying for Remembering the Alamo! Talking about political intrigue! I was fairly dizzy by the time I got to the bottom of that social mess!)

 But I don't love history the way most people represent it: dull, boring facts, locked away in some forgotten, dust-covered scroll. History isn't black-and-white images - it's full-blown color with real, living, breathing people! I love making historical characters come to life through an exciting story. 

It is so important to look back at history. Why? Because history is a mirror to our lives today. And there is nothing like a fascinating story to make it come alive for us and help us understand the mysteries of another era.

How does my writing process work?

It generally starts at night in bed. I look up at the ceiling and dream up some new characters and a generalized plot. (I am both a plotter and a panster.) I continue to think and plot while I cook, clean, help
homeschool, whatever. 

By the time afternoon rolls around, I generally sit down to write. Coffee at my side, a prayer in my heart, and my fingers hovered over a blank document. Earbuds in, music going, and around six tabs open with different historical tidbits, dates, and facts. 

And I write.

I hate editing and proofreading with a passion. So I generally try to do it correctly the first time. I don't always get in the huge daily word counts some other authors do, but it saves me time in the long run because I don't have as much editing to do. 

Thoughts flow, words come, and a new manuscript is born! Granted, it is very much interrupted by calls to the kitchen, the laundry beeper, and that frustrating need to check a historical fact every few minutes. I think I spend as many hours reading and researching as I do writing. And drinking coffee. ;)

That is just the writing process. I won't explain my marketing and publishing process because it is so long and complicated it would bore you to tears. :)

And now...

Drumroll please! Spring-boarding from this tag into my big news!



From the Dark to the Dawn: A Tale of Ancient Rome

Releasing July 18th, 2014!
CrossBooks Manuscript Contest Top 30 Finalist (out of over 300).
Add to your Goodreads shelf today!

Share:

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Alicia! You must be so excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to doing this tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must have been a fun post to write! I enjoyed the little peak into your life. :-)

    Have a great day!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. Maybe you could do one yourself!

      Delete
  4. I almost gasped out loud at your new cover! It is stunning!!!! Congratulations!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it! I am rather impressed with it myself. Good designers are so nice to have around. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! That is amazing news! And I love hearing about your writing process--it always gives me ideas for my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you found it helpful. :)

      Delete
  6. So, my guess for the "colossal news" wasn't that far off after all! :) How exciting another full length novel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Thank you - I am pretty excited. This one has been endorsed by some pretty big authors, which I am grateful for. :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the thrilling news of your upcoming release! And what a delightful post. Thank you for the tag; I'd love to participate and will do one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being an endorser! I can hardly wait to see you answers.

      Delete
  8. I love the cover Alicia! I can't wait to read "From the Dark to the Dawn." You are an awesome writer!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.