Monday, November 11, 2013

, , , ,

Reminisces of a Veteran's Daughter

Images not my own. Taken from Google images.

My dad is a veteran. He served in the 82nd Airborne and was a 12 Bravo Combat Engineer. He also co-trained with the Special Forces/Green Berets. 

I have a lot of fun memories as a little girl related to his experiences as a soldier. Though he was out of the military before I was born, I do remember many of the things he showed us while army-life was still fresh in his blood.

My favorite memory relates directly to the airborne aspect of his service. When we were little, dad would gather us all in the bedroom and line us up. We would fasten on our "parachutes" and get ready to jump. Dad was the leader and shouted the commands.

"Inboard personal, stand up! Outboard personal, stand up!"

We would all get ready. I remember being so excited and nervous! I was going to jump out of a plane. (Sure wish my imagination worked now like it did then!)

"Check static line! Sound off for equipment check!"

I think we all responded by saying "All OK, Jump Master!" (It's been a while. Dad refreshed my memory, but little girl memories are hard to sort through.)

Our "doors" opened. The red light illuminated. I can still "see" it. We would look over our left shoulder, waiting for the green light. I still remember being so pumped. Any minute, that light was going to turn green! And we were between 500-800 feet off the ground!


"Go!" 

Dad would "jump" first. Technically, you don't really jump; the wind carries you out. But I always jumped out of the bedroom anyway. I remember us all "falling" out through the hallway into the living room. Dad would call out:

"1,000, 2,000, 3,000, 4!"

I don't remember when we opened our parachutes, but I know we did. I remember Dad showing us how to do a PLF, standing with our legs together and knees slightly bent to ensure a safe landing. We would roll onto the carpet, grateful to have touched the ground safely.

It is one of my favorite childhood memories. I'm sure I forget some of the technicalities, but it doesn't matter.

Today, I am so grateful for our veterans.
And, as far as I'm concerned, the Army, Green Berets, and 82nd Airborne are the best.

Happy Veteran's Day!
Share:

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting, Alicia. I'm so grateful to all those men and women fighting for our freedom! Thanks to men like your father, our country is safe and protected!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm sure he values your thanks.

      Delete
  2. Awww, how sweet Alicia! I can tell it was great fun! I love it when people share stories like these! We have lots of military people in our church, and we really appreciate their sacrifice and service. Greetings to your dad from me & my family this veteran's day!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. Wish I could do it again sometime!

      We have many vets in our church as well, including our marine choir director. :) I'm sure my dad values your greetings and gratitude.

      Delete
  3. Love to the best army daddy in the entire world! I'll never forget our fun moments together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting Alicia, and tell your dad we are all grateful for his service. I agree with you about the Green Berets, I have a brother in the Green Berets, and one in the Navy, so I'm really grateful for all the armed forces:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! My Grandpa Willis was also a Green Beret. He served in Vietnam and Korea. Sounds like your family is also very involved in the service! Give them my greetings and thanks.

      Delete
  5. Great post and what a sweet memory. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.