Monday, October 7, 2013

, , , ,

Up, Up, and Away!


Saturday marked the 42nd International Balloon Fiesta here in New Mexico. It also happened to be the day after Samuel's tenth birthday! So we went as part of his birthday celebration.

Dear readers, I know many of you do not live around here. So I took a whole bunch of photos for your special benefit! New Mexico is famous for this special fiesta. Balloonists come from all over the world to participate in this event. 


It was VERY early. Too early. I studied the Iceni warriors until 11:00 PM the night before, then promptly dreamed of devastated Roman settlements and woke up every single hour on account. Let's just say 4:00 AM rolled around way too quickly!


I kept wondering who this tall dude was. He was continually shadowing me. 



The first balloons of the day show up in the early morning sky.




Trailing behind.... Made for a good shot though!


A glimmer behind the Sandia Mountains. For those of you who live elsewhere, "Sandia" is Spanish for "watermelon".


The balloons looked like like birds on the power-lines!


So we took shots in front of the potties. Anything unusual about that?



Yep. I'm taking photos for ya'll! 


Some little girlies were tired...



This was only the parking lot at the actual balloon park. At least a similar amount of cars, including us, parked at different locations. 


The first balloons take to the sky!


Spellbound and bored....







Stephen had fun touching a balloon!



Some little guys are just too photogenic!


Sun's up!


Sisters, sisters.... ;)


I would have been slightly worried if I was riding in this one. It was very tipsy!




I love the amazed expressions!!!






I loved the Jordan balloon. I was sure it was from Israel, but no. She's from Wisconsin!



Up, up, and away!!!




Special shapes begin to appear! We went on the first day, not the special shapes rodeo, but I am so glad some special shapes ended up inflating!





Too adorable!






Remember the balloon Stephen touched? Here it is inflated and ready to lift off!!!




Mom loved this tulip balloon! Ever since I was little, tulips were always my flower. 


Purdy!


Stephen, Samuel, and Dad got to help out on the of the balloons! They held the basket or gondola down.




And they're off!




This special hummingbird is brand new, made in Brazil! Saturday was its debut in New Mexico.



Angry birds! Made here in the USA, Saturday was its debut!


And the hummer was off!




I love special shapes!


These adorable honey bees come every year. 


Snow White was brand new from England. Like several other shapes, she made her debut on Saturday.





I was seriously worried Snow White wouldn't get off the ground! She is a very, very tall balloon. I think she had to land very shortly after taking off. 


Little boys are never content unless they are climbing something!


Ok, homeschoolers, just FYI here. This is Elvis. My seven year old brother Stephen took one look and announced "Is that Jonny Appleseed?". Don't ask me where he came up with that!!! Shows how much this family does Elvis....





Crawling in the wet grass. The end of a perfect balloon fiesta kick-off! :)
Share:

15 comments:

  1. I think I was visiting my cousins during one of these many years ago. I remember seeing tons of balloons in the sky. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun pictures Alicia! We'll be going on Thursday, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, is that the special shapes rodeo? How fun! Some of the family wanted to go that day, bu Lydia and I are Lord willing going to be in Espanola. Take a lot of pics!

      Delete
  3. GREAT photos! We were watching the hummingbird balloon et al, from just W of you at the Railrunner Train Depot, as we waiting to head up N to Santa Fe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to tell me all about your trip!

      Delete
  4. Thank you Alicia! These are terrific. What fun. It looks pretty cold too! Please take pix of your trip also. :-) Have a safe, fun time ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camera battery is charged and ready to take photos!

      Delete
  5. Hi Alicia!

    I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Sunshine Blog Award on my blog:http://hisprincessbekah.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-sunshine-award.html

    I enjoyed looking at all these pictures. Looks like you had fun!

    God bless!
    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will see about answering the questions as soon as I am able. :)

      Delete
  6. How cool! Thanks for sharing this with us Alicia! I never knew there was such a festival! I bet it was pretty amazing to stand there and watch all those colorful balloons take flight. I loved the special shapes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come down and go to it some year! You'd love it. The mass ascension of hundreds of balloons is just breathtaking. :)

      Delete
    2. If I ever get the chance to pass through NM again with my family (we did one time when we went almost cross country), I'd definitely want to meet up with you, and getting to see this festival would be an added bonus!

      Delete
  7. I love the photos, and I can imagine how much more magical they are in person! I've always wanted to attend there, and I even have friends in NM, but just haven't made the trek yet. :)

    I popped over from Every Good Word , and I can't even tell you how much your story was a blessing to me. I have your books on my wishlist, and I'm anxious to read them! Congratulations on all the grace, tears and joy that made up their publishing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked them! I took a lot, knowing many people have never made it over here. You will have to come someday!

      I am so very glad you were blessed. I wanted to be an encouragement more than anything. :) Thank you for your kind congratulations. I hope your day is a wonderful one.

      Delete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.