Monday, August 12, 2013

In Search of Adventure: Character Profiles

Disclaimer:
These photos are not my own. They belong to Pinterest and Google Images. I am unaware of their sources. It is not my intention to endorse any films/actors these images may have been taken from/of.

Ok, folks, it is time to introduce the characters of In Search of Adventure!!! 

Presenting Sir Nathaniel de Lance, the former page of Sir Robert Fitz Hasseltine, Earl of Birmingham. A chivalrous knight of ordinary rank and means, he is a valiant knight-errant. He is best depicted by courage, gallantry, compassion, and a strong sense of justice. His tone can occasionally be stern, his words quick, but his pleasant, good-natured demeanor generally makes up for any short comings in this area.


His squire is fourteen year-old Kenneth Dale. At first, Kenneth is characterized by boyish sensitivity, shyness, and insecurity. These characteristics gradually meld into strong courage, a quick masculine mind, and valiance as he develops into a hearty young man. Faithful and conscientious, Kenneth's devotion to Sir Nathaniel and all things pertaining to virtue is beyond question. 

I had to put two photos, spanning the years between 14-18. He does a lot of growing, as you can see!


Christopher Fitz Hasseltine is the eight year old page of Sir Nathaniel. As the eldest son of Sir Robert, he will one day become the Earl of Birmingham. Like his father, he is high spirited, bold, and adventurous. He can be a bit headstrong and willful, but is sensitive to Sir Nathaniel's directions. He knew Sir Nathaniel before he became his page and considers him a friend as well as his master. 


Cnut is the captain of Sir Nathaniel's men-at-arms. Strong, determined, and fearless, he is a valuable asset to Sir Nathaniel's followers. His bravery and faithfulness is admirable, but he and Sir Nathaniel occasionally clash when he fails to understand his lord's wishes or over-speaks his mind.  


Adela is a French servitor.  She's sweet, capable, and virtuous. Her low station in life does not deter the man who realizes her abundant worth. Though submissive and charming, her vast experiences with cruel men of high rank renders her somewhat spirited when dealing with her enemies.


Sir Bruce of Belfast was Kenneth Dale's first master before a dire fate forever separates them. Kind and strong, his positive influence during the first seven years of Kenneth's training is a sacred memory.


Sir Jules, Viscount of Le Havre revisits the scene. He has never forgiven Sir Robert for past humiliation and his merciless intents quickly become fixed on Sir Nathaniel. The master of StoneWolf Castle, his cruel leadership is feared throughout Le Havre.


Sir Rudolph, Sir Nathaniel's first master, revisits the story, this time as a traitor who has joined Sir Jules's forces in France. His hatred for Sir Nathaniel has never ceased. Cruel and unforgiving, he also has reasons for hating Adela and Kenneth. 


A few characters who play only a small part in the story are as follows:

(Left) *Spoiler* Sir Randal, the boyhood antagonist of Sir Nathaniel. (Right) Sir Edmund of Forest Manor.

 

(Left) Edelbert Fitz Hasseltine, father of Sir Robert. (Right) James O'Bannon, boyhood friend of Sir Nathaniel.

 

That does it for characters! I am going to be delightfully terrible and give you chance to guess at a a quick spoiler. Who is the child below?


Leave a comment with your guess!!!
Share:

27 comments:

  1. It is fun to be bale to imagine the characters know that I have seen theri faces, youknow? I can't even guess who the above might be except that maybe Adela and Kenneth get married and have a child??? Really, I have no clue yet. I will keep reading to findout though!!!!!!! I just saw this and love the idea. :-) Do you relate at all to Adela?? I know writers draw upon life to write realistcally. Just wondering how much of her comes from you. :-)
    Love and hugs to my incredibly talented friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways, yes, I do feel I can relate to Adela. She has experience with human nature and tries to be kind, yet is guarded and spirited. Not knowing how I appear, I cannot say whether she and I are alike, but I do understand where she comes from. :) Make sense?

      Ah, well, I don't know about that guess! Joshua might have an idea....

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow! You did such a good job of finding all these characters. Did you collect them as you went along? Right away I get such a clear image of who each person is in your book! I haven't read it yet but when I do it will be fun to refer back to this.
    I'm glad to see the same villains are back ... it will be very interesting to see what finally happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! Actually, I just found these photos the other day. And I wrote the first draft of this book when I was 14. So it took a while to find images that closely matched my mental ones!

      I hope you enjoy it when you do read it!

      Delete
  3. Whoa Alicia!! This is awesome! (bookmarking this page for when I get this.....)
    I really enjoy being introduced to characters, and these are so amazing.
    I really really can't wait to get your books! :o D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it. I had fun finding photos and putting it all together. I am excited for you to read my books; I hope you will enjoy them.

      Delete
  4. These are so cool! By the way, is the little boy possibly Robert and Narcissa's second child?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous - You guessed it! The child is Ethan Fitz Hasseltine, second son of the Earl! But now I am curious who you are! :)

      Delete
    2. Haha! I'm Anna Baber!! :D

      Delete
    3. Very funny, Anna! You had me curious....

      Delete
    4. Heehee. I should have made you guess at my identity. :D

      Delete
    5. I would have gotten it wrong. For some reason, I thought you were a guy friend of mine. :)

      Delete
    6. In that case, maybe it was better I didn't make you guess...:) To be honest, I wasn't fully sure it was him because his clothes weren't as nice as his brother's. And he looked so sad. :( But he is absolutely adorable!

      Delete
    7. Well, when you read the book, maybe you'll understand his expression a little better! :)

      Delete
    8. Now you're making it sound like Robert beats him every night. :)

      Delete
    9. Now, now! We are talking about the dashing, merciful Sir Robert Fitz Hasseltine. No spoilers, but read the book and see for yourself what kind of a father he is! :)

      Delete
    10. I know I know!!! :D Maybe it's Narcissa...
      Just kidding! I know they're both wonderful parents, though I can't help but wonder what makes their extremely sweet-looking child so sad. Did they send him away? Is he page to a cruel master? Is someone threatening him? Or was he captured and held for ransome? I mean, I wouldn't be smiling if any of that happened to me...

      Delete
    11. Ah, you will have to find out!!!

      Delete
    12. Aw, now you're being what you called "delightfully terrible." :)

      Delete
  5. James Purefoy as the bad guy? Aww I rather like him, and Maid Marion from BBC Robin Hood lets say I have something of a like/hate relationship with that show. Some of the costumes don't look like they're of the right period, but they've not made A movie of the book so one does what one can with the photos, eh?

    I'm noticing what seems to be a Irish connection with a couple of the characters, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. It was either find the right costumes or the right faces. I chose the faces! :) I'd like a movie made of it....

      Perhaps! :) Strephon and Brandon come from a place where they could be better influenced by the Irish. :)

      Delete
    2. Saxons you mean? Not sure what their view of the Irish was, though in the 12th century the English view of them in general doesn't seem to have been too flattering?

      Delete
    3. Well, some of my characters are Saxon. And one of them lived closer to the border, where he might have met some of them coming over, which seemed to happen frequently. I believe the Normans dislike the Irish, but I really don't know what the Saxons thought.

      Delete
    4. I was referring to 'Sir Bruce of Belfast' and 'James O'Bannon' with the Irish connection by the way- though the extent to which the noble classes even from Ireland could be really considered 'Irish' may be questionable...

      Delete
    5. Gotcha. James was the son of a forester, which probably gave him a mixed bloodline. He and Sir Bruce are not really main characters, though, so I didn't go into detail about where they were from and their bloodlines.

      Delete
  6. Little Miss Blue EyesAugust 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM

    Alicia, I think the little boy is Ethan (Robert's little boy). All the pictures are so cool (especially Sir Nathaniel, James, and Sir Bruce!)
    You're book was fantastic! I couldn't put it down when I first started it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, ok, that makes sense! Sweet looking child too! Great idea. It will reallyhelp when I read to be able to picture the faces for some reason. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.