Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Independence Day!


For about four months now, I've really been interested in the subject of rights through God. We talked about it in FBI, a friend mentioned the subject, and all my reading material and homework has seemed to deal with the subject. 

I did a simple, fun look into Charles Dickens and guess what - there it was again! His books are flooded with the issue of human rights. His characters cry out for justice, for liberty. They beg someone to come and release them from tyranny, giving them a chance at Christian rights.

Note, I don't say American rights. The mere principle of rights comes from Christianity and thus floods the world wherever the message of Jesus goes. 

I am very proud to be in a country that still honors basic rights. No, our country is not perfect. In fact, it is really going downhill.  But we still live in the greatest country on the planet. We still have freedom. We can meet and worship God in a church building. A good portion of the world can't meet for any reason, let alone for worshiping the Savior of the world.

We need to pray for our church; for our country. When there are 2 or 3 gathered in His name, He is there. And You+Jesus make a majority, no matter what. So let's also celebrate the fact that we are still a people under God! 


Here is a really stirring arrangement of Battle Hymn of the Republic. I like the scenes they put with the music! I think I spied a few clips from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.... You know, that's a really good movie to watch!


And because I just got back from the South, and because I am Southern on my Mom's side, and because I like the song, and because I am being a trifle ornery with all you Northerners, check out I Wish I Was in Dixie Land!


Hurray! Hurray! And God bless the USA!

Ok, so as to not divide the Union, here is for yah Northeners!


Happy 4th of July! Let us thank God for our independence!

Images and videos not my own.
Share:

16 comments:

  1. Well said! I definitely agree that we have a great country, but it is falling--at a dangerously fast pace. Our nation needs our constant prayers. Maybe God will have mercy on this land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! Praise God, we do serve a Savior who is slow to anger and of great mercy. We would have already gone under were it not for that.

      Delete
    2. Yes! Oh! Our God has shown us ABOUNDING mercy and grace! Praise Him for His beautiful character! I can't think of how to say it...we are blessed to have Him?? It's so amazingly comforting to know that we serve a God who is all sovereign and all good who does everything for the good of us and believers across the globe! Even letting our county fall is for His glory. It is troubling, however, and the only words that come to mind are, "Oh Lord! Come back quickly!"

      Delete
  2. I am always inspired by your posts, Alicia! Indeed, we are blessed beyond measure as heirs of the King, to live in a free land. We are afforded the liberty of freely worshiping our God in our homes and in our churches without threat of harm. As we fervently pray for our country because of its dreadful state, I am so thankful that we, as believers, have the assurance of eternity with Christ.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am glad you enjoy them. I hope you had a marvelous 4th!

      Delete
  3. Happy Independence Day Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! You make a very good point about Christian rights. It's sad that the freedom everyone extols is attributed less and less to its proper source. Thanks for sharing the music. I would really like to see Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I wish I could have watched it today, actually! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good movie! (Aside from some drinking.) Check it out sometime!

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh, rights. We all want the rights, and with as much fervor, we too often want to disregard the responsibilities that go with those rights. I think that's what I love about Dickens so much - he shows there can be no rights without responsibility. Christian rights are given to us simply because GOD loves us so much, but with those rights come a great amount of responsibility as Believers. What a blessing and privilege it is that we can enjoy those rights in this country without the severe hand of tyranny upon us, but let us know forget to act upon the responsibility we have to share those rights with others and the wonderful gift of Salvation!! Thank you for the post and the great reminder of all that we have. Let us go forth now and do what we can to spread "the wealth" of salvation!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is an inspirational author. We do indeed have such a huge responsibility to share our faith so that others can enjoy what we as a nation have had for so long. I hope you had a wonderful 4th!

      Delete
  6. A belated happy 4th July, as American patriotism is something I don't have an issue with, per se. The thing I don't like is what I call 'Brit Bashing' under the guise of patriotism, which involves demonizing or vilifying the British, condemning as all as 'tyrants' or 'oppressors'. We did in the 1700s, and do have freedom and rights in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most certainly do and did! As for bashing rulers, well, no land has perfect ones. I could say some things about our own president that, well, would probably be more than anything I could say about King George or anyone else. :) I am grateful that our two lands have merged into allies and are now friends and supporters!

      Delete
    2. Complaining about rulers might be a shared characteristic, though by bashing I meant bashing pretty much all Brits and not seeming to draw much distinction. True about the second, though examples of the aforementioned may still be found in some novels I fear:(

      Delete
    3. Very true! I've seen the opposite extreme too. Are you familiar with classical author G. A. Henty? In his books, the character is only good if he was English or raised in England! (Even with his American characters.) I suppose everyone has their bent!

      Delete
    4. Heard of him, but not read him. Understand how that might be annoying though, as frankly there are 'good' and bad everywhere.

      Delete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.