Thursday, June 27, 2013

Medieval Times!

Yes, it's a long post. Don't miss the video at the end!

Well, as most of you know, I'm officially back from our trip! And, while Medieval Times was the last thing we did (American Girl does not count!), it is going to be the first thing I do a post on! 

No surprise there, right?

I only took about 150 photos and 15 movies there. Not too many, for me. ;) (Hey, this is medieval!) No, I am not going to put them all on here, just 50 or so of my favorites. Here goes!


Our charming castle!


Standing by the moat....



The trumpeter and chancellor announce the king's entrance (right).




Isn't this awesome? Why can't all restrooms be like this? Inside (my dad tells me!), there is an encased sword. The inscription reads something like "If a dragon entereth, smash glass and use sword". Hah!




The king, knighting a young girl.


Seriously, this dude was interesting. I don't know who he was. He isn't a knight/squire and had no part in any of the events. But, every time I took a photo, he snapped into an instant glare. (In fun.) Not sure why he thought glaring at me was so amusing....


Lydia was taking a photograph of when she suddenly started laughing. I couldn't figure out why. Did I really look so dorky? I turned around in time to see a falconer walking away. Sure enough, he had sneaked up behind me to be in the photo. :) Wish I had known before hand I was posing with him.




Beautiful Lipizzaner horses!!!


The king's processional!


Our knight, the knight of the lion. 




All of the knights.... Three were our friends, three were our foes.


Our knight and his noble squire. Best of all, our squire was the squire of honor! He led all the others!


I did a storybook photo of the princess and king.


A man-at-arms. Totally awesome!



The bad guy! Right in the midst of our banquet, a (false) herald arrived, demanding the hand of the princess for his master. Not such a good idea.


Lydia, after she was tossed a flower by our victorious knight.


Storybook photo of a charging knight.


Our squire, catching the cast-aside lances after each knight charged at the target.


Our squire, preparing the lists. 


Preparing for the invitation to joust.


During various points in the Middle Ages, jousting was considered too dangerous and non-Christian by the Pope. I was wondering of Medieval Times has done their research and knew this. Sure enough, the chancellor asked all of the knights if they considered the sport too dangerous and wished to withdraw. Each one vigorously shook his head. Of course, the scornful way the permission to withdraw was given, I wouldn't have left either! 

Interestingly enough, the knights did not use blunted lances as they generally did in competitive jousting. These jousts involved fight-to-the-death combat. Each joust ended with the two competing knight taking to their weapons and eventually battling it out on foot. Their squires were allowed to rearm them, but did not fight with them. 


The chancellor. Cool steed!


Squires, preparing the lists. They all worked very hard. At times, a knight really was a trifle exhausted or battered (you could tell when) and his squire was always right there to make sure he was ok. 


Our victorious knight. He just won a joust!


The image is blurry, but at least I captured the sparks! The yellow knight was our friend.



The conquering knight of the tournament! Although not originally our "friend", he saved the kingdom from disgrace and rescued the princess. (He battled the false, evil herald.) So he ended up everybody's friend! Additionally, his was the only squire allowed to fight alongside his master during the combat.


Sarah and Lydia with our knight!


Me, with our knight....


Us with the princess!


Princess Hannah!

Farewell until next we meet, good comrades!
Share:

8 comments:

  1. That's so neat!! My two brothers and dad have been to a Medieval Times, but I haven't. I want to go someday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Miss Blue EyesJune 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM

    Hmm.. Alicia American Girl DOES count in MY opinion! :D But I did have an awesome time at Medieval Times! The pictures you took are very nice, and so is the video you made. Oh and by the way, actually I took the picture of you and the falconer! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun, fun! I like the pictures - and the video is awesome! It really was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jousts were banned too, not just tournaments? I think I learned that participants generally were supposed to capture their opponents to get a nice fat ransom, and so killing wasn't the general object, but that could happen of course.

    Personally, I have to say, I don't think I'm keen on the idea of having jousting in an indoor arena with sand and floodlights, Having seen 'the real' thing outside and all, but then I did have the (unfair?) advantage of being English and so having access to real castles with grounds enough to accommodate the lists...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, from what I've read, it was jousting that was particularly upsetting. Not sure why. I think the whole melee would be more dangerous. Anyway, it wasn't a very popular notion! :) They may have banned entire tournaments too...

      You DO have a huge advantage! Totally unfair. ;) This is probably the best we get here in the USA. They do have medieval clubs, but I don't fancy them. They are so politically correct they have female knights/squires, which is just a bit strange to me.

      Delete
    2. Oh my, like little slips of girls swinging swords nearly as big as they are... which are obviously fake as the real ones would probably be way too heavy. Political correctness can really get silly sometimes, I mean fighting with hip length hair flying loose.. as if.

      Maybe the aversion to jousting had something to do with wooden splinters flying about, and the potential perils thereof? I know the tournaments and jousts were officially meant to be training for war, and knights and nobles were really meant to capture one another for ransom, even in battle-- that was the theory anyhow.

      Delete
    3. Exactly. I've held a double-handed sword. There is no way a girl could combat a guy in any way that was historically accurate!

      I think what I read was too many knights were being injured: flying splinters, helms smashed in, and such. I know, right? You are supposed to be training and it's not supposed to be entirely safe. That's probably (from what I read) why the notion didn't last too long!

      Delete
    4. One King of France is supposed to have met his end jousting- though you may be right in that it does seem to have become something of a friendly 'show sport' eventually. More the sort of thing done at weddings and celebrations, and perhaps a bit safer with plate Armour and lances designed to break? I haven't read about it much, but seen it many times, and the notion of a girl doing it, well...really not advisable.

      Girl power and strong women are one thing, but really, those weapons are a lot harder to use than they look.

      Delete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.