Thursday, March 21, 2013

Medieval!

Most of you already know this about me: I LOVE the Middle Ages! I have so much fun studying medieval history, I love writing my historical-fiction books, and (needless to say!) chivalrous knighthood is intriguing to me. Most of all, I love ancient weapons and armor!

With all that said, I thought I would share a few medieval items I've found that I simply love and post some of my favorite medieval photos. Enjoy!

Knightly Coffee Mug
(I LOVE this! Can't you image me having my morning coffee in such a wonderful mug?!)



Sword Book Ends
(No, I haven't gone crazy. This isn't exactly my style, nor do I think I will have it in my own home someday. However, I do think they are very interesting!)


*Disclaimer: I have not read, nor do I endorse the books shown*

Baby Clothes
The perfect clothing for my future little knight-in-training!



Imagination
What does the following image make you think of? For me, I always wonder who the young man was. What had he done to deserve his accolade? What about the young boy watching the ceremony? Was he the fortunate new squire? What about the elderly gentleman? Perhaps he was the young man's proud father!


Pretty
The simply elegance of this young lady is very appealing. She actually reminds me of Lady Clarissa, The Comrades of Honor Series #3. 


Knightly
Don't these men give you the feeling that they were true knights, men who truly honored the code of chivalry? Men who respected each other, claimed the high calling of defending the right, and honoring women? Not all knights were chivalrous, but I have a feeling these ones were!


To Birmingham Castle
I was so thrilled when I found these images! They fit so well with my "Comrades of Honor" series title and the castle reminds me of the Norman structure of Birmingham Castle. 


Well, I've shared enough of my medieval craziness. On an entirely different note, please pray for my dad. He's speaking today before the Chamber of Commerce on homeschooling in the East Mountains today.
Share:

11 comments:

  1. I will pray for your Dad! Awesome!

    I enjoyed the pictures. The one of the knighting ceremony is neat, except the shoes.....I think they look entirely funny. :-/

    Looking forward to your next Comrades of Honor Series book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha- everything reeked of "Alicia"!!! :) I mean, how many of us have found a medieval style coffee mug!?!?!

    Cute post, Alicia, and very fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the knights riding their horses with their banners held high! And yes, that mug is pretty neat! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - now this is some pretty cool stuff. I think you need a cup like that to perch on your table at the convention.(Filled with sword-shaped pens, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little baby outfit and the mug. So cute and so much like you. Your a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Miss Blue EyesMarch 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM

    I LOVE the baby outfit! The mug is cool too! The girl is very pretty, and I adore her dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing a Module on Chivalry right now, and the more I am learning the more it seems that Chivalry was not so 'black and white' as it perhaps seems to modern people.
    Actions that we would consider 'unchivarous' for instance, would not necessarily have been regarded as such then, and there seems to have been a gulf of difference sometimes between the Chivalric ideal and the harsh realities of life and war.

    Some good pictures. Do you know which castle the one at the bottom right depicts? I think it might be a place called Bodiam. Pictures of women in Medieval dresses with loose flowing (and often shiny) locks may not be entirely accurate though, as from what I have read it may actually have been considered indecent for a woman to wear her hair loose in public like that (well for some women anyway- was it those of marriageable age, or who were married?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are 100% right! Chivalry was sometimes pretty hypocritical! For example, knights had to be chivalrous to all women - unless, of course, it was his own wife. He had the power to be pretty harsh with HER if he wanted!

      And, yes, that was one thing I dislike about the lady photo. From what I've studied, even if her was loose and you could see it, a veil would still be overtop. I'm not sure about the married or unmarried aspect - I know there is some controvery about the whole veil thing among historians. In my book, I tried to breach the controversy by including both side.

      It was good to hear from you!

      Delete
    2. I bought the Kindle version of your novel a week ago, but I have a very long To Be Read list. so it may be a while until I get around to it!

      Chivalry is- well complicated, and yes, it could be hypocritical. Certainly men were allowed to treat their wives harshly (or ways we would consider harsh- they would not necessarily have considered corporal punishment as abuse in the same way we do), but women may have had some recourse, and noblewomen some rights. There is supposedly a Medieval stone engraving (I can't remember where), of a woman beating a man though, so maybe some girls fought back!!

      I don't know anything about that debate really (might have to find out more), finding out about the different cultural norms of past societies can be interesting though.

      Delete
    3. How exciting! I hope you enjoy it!

      How interesting. I've never seen that engraving. From what I've gathered, a lot of Saxon women would probably take a stand for herself!

      Delete
    4. There were some formidable Norman women too though apparently- just look at Empress Matilda, Henry II's mother. Then again, she had Saxon blood! Perhaps Medieval women had to be tough and resilient sorts alongside their menfolk!

      That said, I don't think they would have seen 'gender equality' in the way some people do today, and perhaps they just wouldn't have seen anything wrong with some the things that modern people do in that regard?

      Delete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.