Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Robin Hood

    I absolutely love the Errol Flynn version of Robin Hood. Granted, it contains some historical inaccuracies (such as the Normans killing all of the Saxons while King Richard was away), but it is still a great movie! 


I love all scenes with Will Scarlet (they properly portray him as Robin's squire in this film). Will is a riot, and, I must admit, he's far from a typical squire. Rather than addressing Robin with the proper "milords" of their day, Will is dashingly free in his speech. 

Here's an example of his sarcasm:
Will Scarlett: Robin, I've just got word of...
[sees Friar Tuck and breaks off]
Robin Hood: It's all right, he's one of us.
Will Scarlett: One of us? He looks like three of us!

The scene below? He's just informed Robin "it's your skull, not mine" in regard to taking on Little John with the quarter staff.


Maid Marian is a fun character too. She is very properly portrayed as a noblewoman who has led a very sheltered life and knows little of what is actually happening to the serfs under Prince John's merciless rule. Like Will, she says what she thinks.


Then, of course, there is Sir Guy - the evil villain and Prince John's loyal henchman. He's got temper, is merciless to the core, and possesses a very false love for Maid Marian.


Prince John, of course, is the villain. He's quite the sarcastic, pitiless type. Quick witted and sickeningly smooth, his comments always provoke Robin's equally quick and daring sarcasm. 


Favorite scenes? Well, I think the final combat between Robin and Sir Guy would have to be everyone's favorite. 


Robin Hood: I'll organize revolt, exact a death for a death, and I'll never rest until every Saxon in this shire can stand up free men and strike a blow for Richard and England!



Share:

12 comments:

  1. I love this movie too! This is the movie that inspired me to write a story of my own when I was 11. I have two other versions that I like, but this is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? How interesting! I didn't see it until years after I had completed To Birmingham Castle.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this version, but it looks good! I'll have to keep an eye out for it to watch sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this movie, but this post makes me want to. :)

    Fell free to check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of Papas favorites as well. Lots of love. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alicia!!!
    I am so glad to see that you started up a blog!! It looks quite cozy and relaxing! I can't wait for more posts! :)

    Love,
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really needed a way to share my releases and such. So, viola! This blog came to be!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you've got a blog now!!
    This was so interesting. I've never seen this but I do enjoy old movies and the Robin Hood legend so I'll watch it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do that! I think you will like it.

      Delete
  7. I Love your blog Alicia! Keep up the good work.
    Love yah,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I read every one of them! May God bless your day.